Job ID 8167
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are transitioning to a hybrid work environment where both remote work and the office play a critical role. Our vision is a future where all employees are empowered to work flexibly to drive the best outcomes for our clients. Flexible work is a mindset and a core value. Our employees are encouraged to work remotely two days a week as a standard practice and will have flexibility in terms of working hours.
Within the sustainable investment platform, we are seeking an Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Research Associate to join our Investment Research team. Based in Boston, the Research Associate will bring a passion for understanding the material ESG issues relevant to portfolio companies and have background or interest in the Industrials, Materials, Consumer, and Healthcare sectors.
The ESG Research Associate will work closely with ESG Analysts covering these sectors to provide research support in assessing company performance on key ESG issues and in executing engagements with portfolio companies. The ESG Research Associate will also have the opportunity to work with portfolio management teams and analysts on both the research and engagement agendas for their sectors. Wellington views investment research as its core competitive advantage, and over time it’s expected that the ESG Research Associate will become a regular contributor to the investment dialogue.
The following essential skills are required for the role:
• Investment acumen and passion – We are seeking those that are passionate about both markets and sustainability issues; past have experience analyzing and researching ESG issues in the investment process is a plus.
• Superior collaboration and influencing skills – The successful candidate will enjoy contributing to a highly collaborative investment environment and will embrace the benefits of overlapping lines of idea generation. S/he will build strong trusting relationships internally with colleagues and externally with company management teams and boards. The ability to provide a point of view and challenge the status quo is critical, as is the humility to admit mistakes and a desire to learn from others; s/he must recognize the benefits of diverse perspectives. The ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) action-oriented investment recommendations clearly and with conviction and contribute to an open sustainable investment dialogue is important.
• Growth mindset – The flexibility and openness to continue learning, evolving and growing as a Research Associate. S/he will have a global perspective and creative approach for thinking about innovation and the evolution of sustainable investing and ESG integration.
Additional qualifications and individual characteristics include:
• Strong work ethic and attention to detail
• Analytical and problem-solving skills: must be able to aggregate data sets, synthesize disparate information, identify the most important elements, and arrive at a conclusion
• Competency working with Excel and familiarity with Bloomberg and/or FactSet
• Ability to conduct fundamental research with knowledge of accounting and modeling is a plus
• Intellectually curious and mentally flexible, strong growth mindset, focused on continuous improvement, willingness and ability to take risk, strong learning orientation and willingness to try new things, and brings a broad, differentiated perspective
• Capacity for differentiated thinking
• Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
• Ability to work well in a small, collaborative team, while also communicating and interacting with a broader group of investment professionals and portfolio companies
• Independence of thought, intellectual curiosity, and an entrepreneurial nature
• Global perspective; and
• Strong academic credentials; progression toward the CFA will be viewed favorably
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? That’s ok. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply and welcome a chance to review your background. We are dedicated to building and maintaining a diversified workforce and considering a broad array of candidates with a variety of skill, workplace experiences, and backgrounds.
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com.